Author: Sensa Intern, Cassanda Bustamante
We’ve all been there, when the clock strikes 2:00pm and you look down at your stomach as it grumbles. Even though it’s only 2 hours past your fulfilling lunch you’re struck with hunger. While reaching for those potato chips and cookies first come to mind, know that they are not the only snacks that will curb your appetite. Well-planned, healthy snacks can complement your weight-loss plan. These healthy snacks are great healthy alternatives that will keep your stomach quiet and your taste buds happy until it’s time for your next meal.
1) Celery and peanut butter – a healthy way to satisfy your sweet tooth while getting some protein in.
2) Apples slices with lemon juice- the lemon juice keeps the apples from bruising plus it gives your apples a kick of citrus.
3) Carrots and ranch – all the crunch of chips without all the sodium! Caesar or bleu cheese dressing also makes good alternatives to ranch.
4) Fat free popcorn – a few handfuls makes for a fun snack, just make sure you pick up the bag without the movie theater butter.
5) Whole grain crackers and cheese – my personal favorite. Pair a good cracker like Milton’s Multigrain Crackers with a few slices of havarti cheese for calcium and protein. Cheese can still be a healthy snack just as long as you keep it to a minimum of a few slices.
6) Plain yogurt and granola – a great combination of protein and fiber that can fill you up until your next meal.
7)String cheese – low fat cheese like mozzarella can help you get your daily calcium intake in between meals.
8)All fruit smoothie – Just throw in your favorite fruits into the blender, and add ice. An easy way to get your daily fruit intake while satisfying your hunger. My personal favorite mix: strawberries, blue berries, and bananas.
9) Trail mix – high in fiber and healthy fat, a handful of if this mix makes a great sweet and salty snack.
10) Cottage cheese – another great snack to add fruit to. Consider trying it with peaches, bananas, strawberries, or blueberries. Adding dried fruit is another great alternative.
Snacking can boost your energy levels and suppress your hunger in between meals so there’s no need to ignore your body when it tells you it needs food. Keeping a variety of snacks in your bag is helpful and can help prevent you from overeating when you feel like you’re starving. When you have snacks with you already to help curb your appetite, you’ll avoid running and getting it from a vending machine or at the convenience store saving you your pocket change that you can put towards something else. Remember to always have your Sensa shaker on hand, snacks count too! For more healthy snack ideas check out this article from WebMD.