Bruce-SENSA Success Story and Community Tech Moderator
I’m Bruce and I lost 55 lbs in 7 months with SENSA! * A lot of people ask me, how did I do it? It is a fair question, but I believe it is important to note that we are all motivated by different things in our life and the way I did it or the way I’m motivated won’t necessarily work for you.
Lets start with the basics:
● You have to understand your goal. Write them down.
○ I want to loose 25 pounds
○ I want to loose 10” from my waistline
○ I want to look better (subjective, but still very important)
○ I want to feel better (my knees hurt doing stairs – I wanted this to stop and 60 pounds later, it did)
○ Once you have them written down, place them someplace you will see them every day (My favorite is the refrigerator). It reminds me to stay out!
● When your SENSA arrives…
○ Read all the enclosed paperwork
○ Pick your start date.
○ Take a number of pictures of yourself or have a friend or your spouse do it
○ Wear fitted clothing. Nothing that hides how you look when you start. (This is important as you will use this as one of the measurements for your progress). I don’t care what your other goals are I believe we all appreciate looking better when the FAT is gone
● Sign up for our free online community and resources at www.mysensa.com! This to is very important. You will find:
○ SUPPORT – SUPPORT – SUPPORT – A great deal of support in the groups and forums (probably one of the most important aspects of your journey) You will need support. There will be weeks you don’t loose anything, you may even gain a pound or two and you will appreciate the support from others in the same boat you are in.
○ There are meal plans and food logs
○ Chat rooms where you can talk to trained moderators and others like yourself for instant support or advise.
○ Articles on weight loss
○ A journal
○ Tools that do things like
○ Calculate your BMI (Body Mass Index)
○ Calorie Burn
○ Articles on how to read food labels
○ Calculate what your target heart rate should be
○ And soooo much more
○ To me, this area is the number one place that I can contribute to my success. I was held accountable to both myself and others in the forums. I did not want to go in and post my weight and show a gain… it is amazing how this will motivate you.
● What other things did I do to be successful?
○ I went from eating on a dinner plate to eating on a salad plate which is probably half the size of my dinner plate
○ I only put one serving on that plate
○ I walked 10,000 steps a day minimum. This is a recommended level for everyone. It is not an easy thing to do so if you haven’t walked much before, gradually work your way into it. You don’t want to walk 10,000 the first day and ache so bad you swear this isn’t for you. You will need a pedometer to count the steps. SENSA has them or you can purchase one at a minimal cost from your local sports or fitness store.
○ DRINK lots of water. While there is a recommended amount just do the best you can. One recommendation here, drink a full glass 30 minutes before you eat.
○ Speaking of eating again, listen to your body!! Make sure every meal takes at least 20 minutes. I know you say, 20 minutes isn’t much. Time yourself now.. I’ll bet it is half that. As you eat, listen to your body. Just as soon as you START to feel full… STOP and push the plate away. Get used to pushing that plate away with food on it. It will happen a lot.
○ Once you learn how to read those food labels, when you are shopping, use that knowledge and pick the foods that you not only like, but that are good for you. I was very conscious of what I was eating and my wife worked with me to make sure she shopped wisely for me as well.
○ When I went out to eat, before I even started eating, I asked the waitress for a take home container and then put half of the meal in the container. I never needed what they put on the plate.
○ Clothing – Yes, your clothing will begin to get big on you. Here, I took an extreme approach to it. As things got way too big on me, I donated the clothing to charity and purchased new clothing. Its fun and makes you feel so good about yourself. If you work at this as I did, you deserve to purchase some new clothing. The reason I got rid of the old clothing is because I pledged never to go back to my former self.
○ Eating – I personally found another motivator was to write down what I ate every time I ate. I used the tools on MySENSA to plug in what I ate and help me keep track. It to is another reminder to watch what I eat. I set goals of how many calories I was going to consume each day. You may say I don’t want to count calories, but with SENSA I found I wasn’t eating enough and that is NOT a good thing. Your body requires a certain caloric intake so it will loose the fat and not burn the muscle. If you don’t find that level and stick to it, your body will go into starvation mode and you will not loose weight as you would like. I’m not a doctor, just read a lot on how to approach weight loss.
○ Exercise… you say, the walking I mentioned earlier is exercise and yes it is, but I wanted to keep the skin tight and so I worked with a trainer to develop a program to do that. I’m 63 and at that age, your skin doesn’t have the elasticity it used to. Remember, I wanted to look better and flabby skin doesn’t contribute to that. The important thing to remember with SENSA, other than the recommended walking, exercise isn’t required. I went through a trial program with a gentleman from Florida. He use to say, if he woke up and felt like exercising, he went back to bed. Mike had a goal of loosing 50 pounds and is currently at a 58 pound loss. He does not exercise.
○ Weigh In – DO NOT weigh yourself daily. I chose to do it weekly at the same time of day on the same day each week.. Saturday worked for me. I say weekly because it provided me with a more accurate view of my weight. Daily, there were fluctuations in the weight… some times several pounds.. Record it.. whether it is in a notebook, or in your phone.. just record it so you can watch your progress. SENSA even has a place to record your weight and watch the progress.
● REMEMBER – you are doing this for yourself no matter what the reason is. You deserve to pamper yourself, loosing that unwanted weight is the best way to do that. You will look better, feel better and hold your head higher than you have in years.
● Most importantly – Sprinkle your SENSA on everything except liquids.
Bruce, TechMod for SENSA Online Community
*Studies show average weight loss of 30.5 lbs in 6 months. Bruce used SENSA for 7 months with exercise.